Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Ipswitch: Writing on the Walls

Signs. This world is covered in signs. Well, this dwelling, at least. That's going to make my job easier -- I hope.

I'm sure the others have clued you in to the basics of our arrival here. I'm actually lucky we have an intelligent species here to work with, otherwise I'd be feeling rather ubiquitous about now.

The first thing I need to do is gather a list of symbols -- find repetitions, sort them, separate letters from numbers and so on. It's not necessarily as easy as it sounds -- I've written papers on dozens of unusual writing systems and how they could be complicated. It also appears that some symbols can be written in different styles -- by hand, using curved symbols, or clear straight symbols. Fonts, I'd bet. Well, can't fault them for being creative with their words, right?

A few common symbols I've found:

__% OFF

SALE!

$__.__

Hold on... I've just stumbled upon an input device covered in symbols...

Esc F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 F6 F7 F8 F9 F10 F11 F12
` 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - = Backspace
Tab Q W E R T Y U I O P [ ] \

Some of these have a sequence. The same symbols, minus the "F", are on the signs, before the % symbol, and after the $ symbol... and on the circular timer our host keeps looking at. I bet these are numbers...

Mother of Mud... STACKS of written pages! Bound together! Sorry, have to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment